Lunar New Year!

This time of year is one of my favorites. The Lunar Chinese New Year for me always means eating the best food! I get to eat all of my favorite Hawaiian-Chinese comfort foods and spend time with all of my loves. As I've gotten older I've found I think more and more of my ancestors. I wonder if they would be proud of my life, or want me to do better/more. Would they approve of my gluttonous weekend swimming in dumplings and steamed buns? Or would they welcome my weekend of pondering about my Chinese ancestors? Being hapa has always put me in such a conflicted mind space when it comes to cultural practices. Finding a balance between owning your heritage and culture but also being respectful of cultural practices can be tricky. I like to think that any time my family gathers in good spirits our ancestors watching would approve! I feel so full of fortune and love. I'm ready for the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment