Current Reads!

To reach my goal of reading 24 books this year, I need to read 2 books every month. So far I'm off to a great start! The first book of the year was Franny and Zooey. Now I've read this book multiple times before, but I needed a page for a project (that'll post soon!) and I decided to take one from this JD Salinger classic. This book is a great part of my personal history. When my parents were picking baby names for me and my twin Franny was in the running. I'm very glad they went with Remi! BUT ever since I was in high school I thought I'd have a this great connection to this book. Honestly the first couple times I read it I h a t e d it. Its strange, long and kind boring. Its mostly just conversations and obscure references. I kept re-reading it and each time I kept finding more and more meaning. Of course I'm sure its one of those situations where you start to read what you want to read and find meaning that you're looking for. Regardless it was a lovely quick weekend read! I've found this is one of those books and people either hate or love. If you've read it what are your feelings?
The second book of the month was Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune by Roselle Lim. I chose this one because I knew it was going to be about food and Chinese culture which fit perfectly for the Lunar New Year this month. After reading the bad reviews on Good Reads, I kinda understood why some people might not enjoy it. I happen to really love it. That is probably based on my love of food and soft spot for Asian culture. As someone who has a somewhat trepidatious relationship with their mother this book sank into my soul and found a quiet little home. The descriptive writing in this book is amazing and made me hungry every time I picked it up! For me this book had the perfect mix of whimsy and complexity of relationships. So if you're looking for a book about food, reinventing yourself and processing greif then I highly recommend this book!

I think for next month I'm going with a couple of cute romcom books! It seems fitting for the mushy month ahead! I'm also a little nervous about the short month so something I can read fast is probably a good idea! 

No comments:

Post a Comment